Five Points to Host Final Concert of 19th Season
August 2, 2017
The Five Points Association welcomes the community to the final concert of this season’s Five After Five, a free and family friendly outdoor concert series in the heart of Five Points, at the fountain. Throughout the 19th season of this free event, patrons have enjoyed great local music, brews, food and fun times starting in April, on the first Sunday of each month, through August. Previous seasons have been held on a Thursday evening.
Five After Five Highlights:
• Final Concert Date: August 6 // 5pm – 9pm
• Local food, arts, and crafts vendors
• Enhanced family friendly entertainment, to include: sidewalk chalk, bubbles, face painting, and more
• NEW FOR 2017! Members of Columbia Opportunity Resource (COR) get one complimentary beer per concert this season
• NEW FOR 2017! Members of Pure Barre get one complimentary beer per concert this season
August 6th Concert Details:
• Rejectioneers (opener)
Rejectioneers is an Post Punk/Indie Rock band based out of Columbia, SC. Featuring members from several of South Carolina's prominent artists, Rejectioneers present a sound that is experienced, polished, and mature. Although the sound is refined, the vocals, lyrics, melodies, and overall emotion behind the songs shine through.
• Stop Light Observations (headliner)
Stop Light Observations consists of members Will Blackburn (lead vocal), Cubby (songwriter, piano, synth, vocals), Louis Duffie (guitar, synth, percussion) and Luke Withers (drums). The roots of SLO began when Cubby first began assembling the lineup as a middle schooler, but things didn't truly take off until the band released their acclaimed 2013 debut album, 'Radiation.' Metronome Charleston hailed their "emotive and elegant" songs, which blended arena-sized rock with undercurrents of hip-hop and folk, while the Charleston City Paper profiled their unexpected rise, which "took many in the music industry by surprise" as they went from relative unknowns to playing Bonnaroo and selling out Charleston's largest rock club, The Music Farm, in roughly a year. Since then, they've gone on to break the record for most consecutive sellouts at The Music Farm and perform live shows all across the country, including more standout festival sets from Firefly to Summerfest.
• Bois Obscur (closing DJ)
Bois Obscur hails from Columbia, SC and adds a unique twist to his sets, blending late 90’s and early 2000’s hip-hop/R&B with new club ready beats, as well as new electronic club music. No stranger to the big stage, he has opened for the likes of Skrillex and Charlotte, NC duo Styles&Complete. Unlike typical “house music,” Bois enjoys meandering in and out of tracks quickly to keep the set “alive”, as he puts it.
• Brain Freeze Italian Ice – offering Italian ice in assorted flavors
• Carolina Cookin’ – offering BBQ, quesadillas, egg rolls, and other assorted sandwiches
• Saluda’s – offering selections from their restaurant menu
Craft and Civic Vendors:
• Emerald’s Artistry Face Painting, Orange Theory Fitness, Hippy Do Da Creations, Sun Salt Moon, 19 Acres Candles, Good Vibe Wraps, Columbia Opportunity Resource (COR), The OOPS! Co., Experience Columbia SC and more
As always, Five After Five is FREE to the public, and patrons of all ages are encouraged to come enjoy the warm weather, music, food, and beverages. Concerts take place at the Five Points fountain, from 5pm – 9pm. Parking is available on all streets in Five Points and is free all day. Pets are welcome.
Five After Five wouldn’t be possible without the generous support of these companies in the Midlands: KW Beverage, Michelob Ultra, CJ’s, Wolfe & Taylor Co., Orange Theory Fitness, Crescent Construction, Village Idiot Pizza, Yesterday’s, Jake’s, The Bird Dog, Pawleys Front Porch, Pita Pit, Saluda’s, WXRY, and the City of Columbia.