Five After Five to Host Second Concert of 19th Season
May 3, 2017
The Five Points Association welcomes the community to the second concert of this season’s Five After Five, a free and family friendly outdoor concert series in the heart of Five Points, at the fountain. Throughout the 19th season of this free event, patrons can expect to enjoy five evenings of great local music, brews, food and fun times starting in April, on the first Sunday of each month, through August. Previous seasons have been held on a Thursday evening.
Five After Five Highlights:
• Remaining Dates: May 7, June 4, July 2, August 6 // 4pm – 9pm
• Local brews, food, arts, and crafts vendors
• Enhanced family friendly entertainment, to include: sidewalk chalk, bubbles, face painting, and more
• NEW FOR 2017! Members of Columbia Opportunity Resource (COR) get one complimentary beer per concert this season
• Bands for each concert will be announced the previous month
May 7th Concert Details:
• Whiskey Mikes (opener)
Originating in Columbia, SC, Whiskey Mikes was formed by three best friends that wanted to turn fun times jamming together into something more, as well as let people hear their original style. With the help of William Clark (Circa 2015), the three friends did just that. Whiskey Mikes has played a multitude of shows, growing in popularity with their unique covers and display of diversity in music genres.
• The Distributors (headliner)
After decades in the local Columbia, SC music scene fronting the popular party band Tootie & the Jones, singer and guitarist Murray “Don't call him Tootie” Baroody decided to mark his 50th birthday by writing and recording some of his own songs. Once he enlisted the assistance of Jam Room Studio owner and local bassist Jay Matheson and drummer Steve Sancho, a surprising thing happened – the trio became the band, The Distributors. The collective experience of the players shows in every riff, every groove, every beat of these songs. They are not trying to be fancy, hip, or even all that current; rather they capture the timeless essence of simple rock 'n' roll pleasures like nothing since the glory days of 70's rock.
• Bois Obscur (closing DJ)
Bois Obscur hails from Columbia, SC and adds a unique twist to his sets, blending late 90’s and early 2000’s hip-hop/R&B with new club ready beats, as well as new electronic club music. No stranger to the big stage, he has opened for the likes of Skrillex and Charlotte, NC duo Styles&Complete. Unlike typical “house music,” Bois enjoys meandering in and out of tracks quickly to keep the set “alive”, as he puts it.
• Brain Freeze Italian Ice – offering Italian Ice in assorted flavors, as well as kettle corn
• The Wurst Wagen – offering assorted authentic German foods
• Yesterday’s – offering pulled pork tacos and hand pressed angus burgers
Craft and Civic Vendors:
• Columbia Dog Wizard, Emerald’s Artistry Face Painting, Gymboree Play & Music, Plum Ties, SC Wildflours, Sustainable Midlands, Valchemy Metals
As always, Five After Five is FREE to the public, and patrons of all ages are encouraged to come enjoy the warm weather, music, food, and beverages. Each concert will take place at the Five Points fountain, from 4pm – 9pm. Parking is available on all streets in Five Points and is free all day. Pets are welcome.
Five After Five wouldn’t be possible without the generous support of these companies in the Midlands: KW Beverage, Michelob Ultra, CJ’s, Wolfe & Taylor Company, Orange Theory Fitness, Crescent Construction, Village Idiot Pizza, Yesterday’s, Jake’s, The Bird Dog, Pawleys Front Porch, Pita Pit, Saluda’s, WXRY, and the City of Columbia.